Friday, January 14, 2011

Better Option: Freezing Instead of Throwing Out

Ever find yourself with food in the refrigerator that, for whatever reason, you aren’t going to eat while it is still good? Instead of throwing something out, throw it in the freezer, which will preserve it for months, if not longer.

I freeze leftovers (i.e. chili, skirt steak, pea soup) all the time. Also, on occasion, I’ll make extra of a dish specifically to freeze it for future eating.


Don’t be afraid to get creative. The other day I had seven or eight lemons that were on their last legs. I wasn’t going to use them before they went bad and wasn’t about to throw them away.


Instead, I squeezed them for their juice, freezing the juice in the smallest glass jars I had. As needed, I’ll move individual jars from the freezer to the refrigerator.

No comments: